Vellum, 7.25 x 5.125, ff. 109 + 4, 14 lines to a page. 15th cent., with good illuminations.
Donor, the Rev. Jo. Boughton, D.D., senior Fellow, 1690.
Collation : a4, 112 26 (1 canc.) 38 48 54 68 – 148.
Kalendar in French in red, blue and gold: not full . . f. 1
Sequences of the Gospels. 17b blank . . . . 13
Hours of the Virgin (Use of Rouen) . . . . 18
Seven Psalms and Litany . . . . . 54
Hours of the Holy Ghost, 70. Of the Cross, 74.
Office of the Dead. f. 101 blank . . . . 78
Obsecro te, 102. O intemerata, 105.
Memoria of S. Sebastian . . . . . 108b
In the Kalendar:
S. Seuer, in gold.
Nicholas, in gold.
Gervais, in gold.
loys, in gold.
S. Gille S. leu…
Roumain, in gold.
In the Litany: Apostles, Martial. Confessors, Romanus, Audoen, Taurinus, Laudus, Paternus, Philibert.
1. Matins of the Virgin: Full border of line and leaf work with solid inner band of gold and colour and insertions of grotesques, etc.
Annunciation. Gabriel on L. with scroll: aue-tecum,
The other Hours have mostly only border and initial.
2. Memoriae in Lauds. The Trinity (Italian): the Father supporting before Him the crucified Son, over whose head is the Dove. On L. and R. kneel a man and wife in blue with scrolls: Sit nomen domini benedictum. Ex hoc nunc et usque in seculum.
In border, angels: two with scrolls, Gloria tibi trinitas equalis una deitas.
3. Prime. The Virgin and Child seated on red quilt under roof. Cradle on R. Ox, ass, and Joseph seen over green paling.
In several borders is a monogram L G M.
4. Seven Psalms. David kneels in landscape, on scarlet: harp on R. Christ’s head in sky.
In borders the letters ll | y g |.
5. Hours of the Holy Ghost. Pentecost. Virgin in C. Dove above.
In border two small defaced scrolls pour (?) la… and …elle.
6. Hours of the Cross. The Crucifixion, with the Virgin and St John.
7. Office of the Dead. Chequered ground. In front, coffin with blue pall and two candles. Two clerks at desk: two mourners on L.
The borders are better than the pictures, but neither are of very high class.240 N.2