The Revd John Sandwith Boys Smith, Fellow and Master of St John's College (1901-91): 'Fifteen years as Senior Bursar of Saint John's College 1944-1959', 1982. Boys Smith was at various times Tutor, Senior Tutor, Junior and Senior Bursar, and Master of St John's. These memoirs continue his account of life in College between 1919 and 1945, presented to the Library in 1979. Together these works form the basis of his published Memories of St John's College Cambridge, 1919-1969 (Oxford, 1983).
The Revd John Sandwith Boys Smith, Fellow and Master of St John's College (1901-91): 'Recollections of life in St John's College, 1919-1945', 1979. Boys Smith was at various times Tutor, Senior Tutor, Junior and Senior Bursar, and Master of St John's. These memories were written down at the prompting of the College Archivist, Malcolm Underwood. A few comments on Boys Smith's recollections by Professor John Crook and Dr Peter Linehan, both Fellows of the College, have been tipped in.
John Palmer (1769-1840) was a Fellow of St John’s College and the Sir Thomas Adams Professor of Arabic at Cambridge.
1 box containing loose manuscript papers relating to the Arabic language and its grammar originally in a single bundle.
1. Small empty paper wrapper, addressed to the Rev’d J. Palmer, St John’s College, and marked ‘Catalogue of Dr Craven’s arabic books’.
The original attested copy of the charter is in the College Archives D59/19. The document was witnessed by Richard William and James Davis, both of Sedbergh on 27 January 1818. The date of the original charter is 14 May 1551. In a single neat early-nineteenth-century hand. The text occupies the rectos of the first 10 folios only.
According to the abstract provided by Professor Lang in 1947 the roll is ‘A true copy of the Royal Rescript’ of the Lords Tsars and Grand Dukes Joann Alexeyevich, Peter Alexeyevich and the Princess and Tsarevna and Grand Duchess Sophia Alexeyevna, who ruled all Great, Little and White Russia, sent to their Lord Chamberlain and Governor Conrad Fomiev Narishtein. The rescript deals with the engagement of pilots by foreign merchants at Archangel to guide ships along the River Dvina from the sea and from the town to the sea.
Plans and elevations of Second Court drawn by Ralph Symons and Gilbert Wigge, bearing the architects’ signatures, together with documents relating to the building and its contracts, plus further later plans of the College dating from around 1700.
Holograph manuscript in eight volumes of Roger North’s life of Francis North, Lord Guildford; together with two further volumes containing Francis North’s reports of cases in the courts of Common Pleas and King’s Bench, 1656-67, the first in the hand of Francis North, the other a transcript by Roger North from one of his notebooks.
Entitled on the first page ‘The Lord Treasurer’s defence before the house of Lords to his impeachment upon six articles by Mr Montagu in the house of Commons. Anno domini 1678’. Seven pages of manuscript in a single neat hand in heavy black ink. Each of the 6 articles is numbered. The manuscript concludes with a Latin quotation from Juvenal’s Satires, and a pen flourish.
Cambridge University Manuscript Gg.4.3 = Persecutionis Catholicaorum Anglicanae et Conjurationis Presbiterianae Hystoria. Autore P. Warnero, J. J. Regi Jacobo IIdo e Sacris (1660-1685). John Sergeant (1622-1707) was admitted to St John’s College as a sizar in 1639 (BA 1642-3) and became a Roman Catholic priest serving at the English College in Lisbon.
“Works in manuscript / by / Thomas Budd Shaw B.A. , M.A. / of S. John’s College Cambridge / Born Oct 12 1813 / died in S. Petersburg Nov 26 1862 / Vol.1 / Collected and arranged by / his sister Julia Tufnell Hardwick / and her son Philip Charles Hardwick / April 1880.” -- from title page to volume 1.