St John's offers a supportive environment to its students

Nursing Team

Welcome to the Health & Wellbeing Centre page! 

The Health & Wellbeing Centre currently has two Registered Nurses who are on site Monday - Friday, in B2 North Court. 

However, face to face consultations are not available during the Covid-19 pandemic but through telephone or video consultations and booked via Moodle. 

You can contact either nurse via: Health&

Ruth Dean, College Nurse, can be reached via, telephone 01223 338664

Karen Miles, Health & Wellbeing Nurse can be reached via or telephone 01223 747162

Ruth Dean

The College Nurses are able to provide a listening ear, support and advise on a wide variety of physical, mental health and welfare problems. We will signpost to local services and advocate when required. 

Information provided to the Health and Wellbeing Centre is of a sensitive nature and is kept confidential. Disclosure without consent would occur only in exceptional circumstances such as where it is legally required or when you health and safety, or the health and safety of others, is at serious risk. Please note health records are kept electronically for use by Health & Wellbeing Centre staff only, if you would like to know more about this or opt out of electronic records please contact either nurse.

Please email directly the Nurse you wish to have a consultation with, if we are unavailable you will receive an out of office response.
All appointments throughout the vacation period will be via telephone or zoom.

Karen Miles
Virtual Clinic Times

Monday-Friday only via Moodle or email direct to the Nurse you wish to 'see'.

For urgent issues please do consider the services in your area such as NHS 111, local GP/Doctor and other resources. 

Ruth is also the College's Disability Liaison Officer and should be your first port of call if you have a diagnosed disability or may require further support or information. Ruth will work with the Disability Resource Centre, your GP, your Tutor and other members of College staff to ensure all the support available is offered. 

If you are contacting either Nurse via email please note that a reply will only be made during usual working hours and there may be a delay in responding to emails because of clinical commitments.

If you need immediate or urgent advice please use the NHS 111 service, your GP or other appropriate services if overseas.

Ruth Dean direct telephone line: 01223 338664

Karen Miles direct telephone line 01223 747162

(The answerphone is only accessed during working hours and if we are in clinic consultations there will be a delay in response).


NHS 111 Service Symptom Checker and information on Covid 19 / Coronavirus

All adults 18 years and over can now have a vaccination. Please use the following link to book Covid-19 vaccinations.

Government information for students in higher education - national and international - is here

Please note, if you have Covid symptoms or have a positive test you will need to wait 28 days before having a Covid 19 vaccine.

Covid 19 delta variant - this is on the rise - symptoms are presenting differently; headache, sore throat, runny nose, fever, cough are the top 5, loss of sense of smell is less evident.

If you have any of the above listed symptoms please isolate and get tested with a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test: Report symptoms and get a test.

There is some confusion over the use of lateral flow tests (LFTs). These are useful for regular testing for people without symptoms.

The LFT is not appropriate for people with symptoms - symptomatic testing = PCR.

UK Government advice and guidance on Covid 19 / Coronavirus (please check regularly for updated information)

Please also see the main College Coronavirus pages for information such as FAQ's and how to report illness. 

During the Covid 19 pandemic, wellbeing, mental health or emotional support is still available through the Nursing Team, College Counsellor or your Tutor however, if you would like to access services external to St John's there are several options. Please have a look at this document for further information and contact details of local and national resources. Resources for wellbeing and support

Other help  

Location of first aid and emergency equipment in St John's College

The above map shows the location of first aid equipment, defibrillators, adrenaline auto Injectors (for anaphylaxis) and serious bleeding kits available in College. The College has identified key staff who have received first aid at work training and as such, should be able to give initial response to incidents when the above equipment may be required, a staff member may also offer advice on follow up care or seek further medical support depending on the preventing circumstances. 

If you need medical advice when the Health & Wellbeing Centre is closed contact the Porters' Lodges (tel. 01223 338600) or your own GP Surgery.

If you need help when your GP Surgery is closed please call NHS 111 which is the NHS 24 hour health advice/management line. This service can assist with physical (option 1) and mental health issues (option 2, see below)

After a triage assessment they will be able to schedule emergency GP/Dental Appointments or direct you to other services as deemed appropriate.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis please call the First Response Service via NHS 111 and select option 2 - this service is available 24/7 and is manned by skilled mental health professionals who can help you access appropriate assessment and treatment services in the local area.

For life threatening emergencies please call 999 and ensure you tell the porters if an ambulance attends College. The nearest A&E Emergency Department is located at Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Rd, Cambridge. This is for serious emergencies only such as; burns, stroke, heart attacks etc where there are risks of loss of life or limb. 

Remember the Porters are on duty 24/7 and can offer a listening ear or assist you to access further help.


The University Counselling Service run group workshops each term and these may be particularly useful. Please see further information below. 

The University run Mindfulness Courses, available through each term. 

The workshop topics are as follows:

The current timetable can be accessed online. 

To book you must have a Raven ID and password, courses are very popular so do sign up quickly!


Confidentiality and record keeping

The College Nurse and Health & Wellbeing Nurse exercise their duty of confidentiality to all students and respects their right to privacy. Information shared with the Health & Wellbeing Centre staff is kept strictly confidential; as with all health care environments. Sharing information without consent would only occur in exceptional circumstances, on a 'need to know' basis; ideally we would ask your consent but there are certain circumstances when this may not be possible-such as: serious threat of harm to yourself or others, or if a serious crime has been committed. 

Student health records are stored electronically* and processed in accord with current health and personal data protection regulations. For further information please see: 

*Within College only the Nursing Team can access the electronic health records. If you wish to opt out of electronic records please alert the College Nurse. Any hard copies of data will be stored securely in the Health & Wellbeing Centre for no longer than eight years before being destroyed. 

Video consultations will be facilitated using Zoom. If you have any concerns regarding this please contact the College Nurse.

(Please note, the below applies to face to face consultations only and is therefore not relevant during the pandemic) 

Chaperoning during consultations.

The Royal College of Nursing states that "All patients should have the right, if they wish, to have a chaperone present during an examination, procedure, treatment or any care irrespective of organisational constraints or settings in which this is carried out"

We support this and you are therefore welcome to bring someone with you to your consultation, or if both nurses are on duty it may be possible that both can be present during the consultation  if requested.  Please discuss any concerns you have with us.

Useful links and documents

Student Wellbeing pages, gives information and advice about the services in Colleges and Depts. Also featuring many common issues that students may face in their time at University:

Health Information

Health Information

NHS 111 Service Symptom Checker and information on Covid 19 / Coronavirus

  • UK Government advice and guidance on Covid 19 / Cornoavirus (please check regularly for updated information)

Please see the St John's Coronavirus page for up to date support information and how to report symptoms

NHS Choices


Expert Self Care App


Meningitis Information

Every year in Cambridge there are cases of Meningitis, which is a life threatening infection. Please familiarise yourself with the signs and symptoms and seek medical help immediately if you have concerns about yourself or someone else.

Meningitis symptoms


General Practitioners

ALL students studying in the UK for more than 6 months should register at a Doctors/General Practitioner Practice.

Please discuss with the College Nurse as soon as possible if you do not wish to register, or have any questions about the health service in the UK.

Once registered please inform student services of which practice you have chosen. 

The following GP Surgeries are within a short distance of College:


You may register at any of the above practices. 

Overnight and at weekends NHS 111 provide access to the out of hours' GP service and can be contacted on 111 or via your GP surgery's number. They are usually based at Chesterton Hospital, Union Lane. Please remember that this service is for conditions which cannot wait until your GP practice is open.

If you are feeling unwell it is a good idea to let the Porter’s Lodge know so that relevant help/people can be informed if necessary.

Local hospital


A&E or 999

In an extreme emergency the nearest Accident & Emergency Department is at Addenbrooke's Hospital. An extreme emergency is a condition such as a suspected broken bone, road accident, a severe wound that requires stitching, suspected heart attack or any other life threatening condition. Please use this service appropriately!

To contact the emergency services (fire, police or ambulance) telephone 999. You should only call 999 in an emergency, state where you are, what the problem is and please alert the Porters of the emergency, to help deliver care and to ensure that the emergency services are promptly directed when necessary.

NHS Information

For information on health concerns, self-help and support organisations, local health services including finding a local NHS dentist.

  • NHS 111 - a 24 hour NHS advisory
  • NHS 111 - option 2 for a mental health crisis 



If you have any allergies and require medication please alert the College Nurse of your diagnosis. A list of students with severe allergies (Anaphylaxis) is compiled by the College Nurse to ensure catering and First Aiders are aware of the potential risks of a life-threatening reaction. 

The College stocks Auto-adrenaline injectors (AAI's) for emergency use only in the event of a Anaphylactic reaction. These are located in the Porters Lodges, Health & Wellbeing Centre, Boathouse, Playing fields and kitchen. College first aiders are trained to assist an individual in the use of these devices.

The Anaphylaxis Campaign:


The College has three Automated External Defibrillators for use in the event of a Cardiac arrest. These are located in the Forecourt Lodge, boathouse and playing fields.  


The DRC can offer a wide range of services for students and staff who identify with a disability. The DRC takes self referrals only via an online form. If you require further support before deciding to self-refer please talk to either Nurse or your Tutor.  

Counselling and Mental Health


Eating Disorders - for information and help


Foreign Travel Information


Physiotherapy and sports injuries

College employed Physiotherapist.-currently unavailable due to Covid restrictions however is able to offer zoom consultations, please conact either nurse for information

The College has a physiotherapist who holds a clinic on Mondays in the Health & Wellbeing Centre (during term time only, 16.30-18.30) Students can book via Moodle or through one of the nurses in the Health & Wellbeing Centre. Payment is by cash only-direct to Luke. Staff and Fellows can also book to see Luke (charges are applicable and MUST be paid in cash directly to Luke, or treatment will be refused) 

NHS Free Service.

Physio Direct is an NHS telephone self-referral service available to anyone registered with a Cambridge GP. If you have an acute or chronic joint or soft tissue problem ring 0300 555 0210 Monday-Friday 13.00-17.00. The physiotherapist will make a diagnosis and prescribe exercises over the phone (call usually takes 10-15 minutes). An appointment or follow up advice will be offered if necessary. Alternatively you can complete a self referral form available at your GP Surgery or via their website.

Private physiotherapists or chiropractors can also be found locally via a search engine. 

Sexual Health and Contraception

For comprehensive information on sexual health and to book online sexual health appointments at:


Websites for General Health Information and Advice
Stay Safe on a Night Out
This video contains useful advice about staying safe during a night out in Cambridge.

Cambridge is a relatively safe place, but usual precautions should be taken, particularly when travelling after dark.

  •  - Avoid travelling alone. Stay in groups or pairs and have a mobile phone with charge and credit with you.
  •  - Do not consume alcohol beyond your usual safe limits and if you are not used to drinking pace yourself and trust your instincts.
  •  - Plan your route before you leave.
  •  - Be aware of places you can drop in to if you feel unsafe-such as Porters Lodges, and public places. Please see map-a Bowler Hat indicates where a Lodge is, though bear in mind they may not all be open 24 hours a day.
  •  - If you feel your drink may have been spiked, tell someone (ambulance, security or bar staff) and get help quickly-do not attempt to leave on your own.
  •  - Report any unusual or suspicious behaviour to College and/or the Police telephone 999 for an emergency, or 101 for non-emergency, Or anonymously  through Crimestoppers  via telephone 0800 555 111
  •  - If you believe an incident or crime has occurred, but are not sure you want to report it to the police, talk to a non-judgemental professional as soon as possible-College Nurse, GP, Chaplain, Tutor or outside agency such as:

- Samaritans
- Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
- Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre

- The University Counselling Service now has a dedicated Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor 

Mental Health Out of Hours Support

JCR Mental Health postcard - front

Mental health wellbeing poster

College Counsellor

College Counselling Service

The College Counsellor provides a free and confidential counselling service to all students at St John’s College.

Counselling can be helpful for all kinds of difficulties and is available to help you with any personal or psychological issues which are having an impact on your ability to study or to make the most of student life. 

Jennifer Cooper, College Counsellor, can be reached via, telephone 01223 767777.

J Cooper

The College Counselling Service is an additional service to the University Counselling Service (UCS) . UCS can offer a wider range of appointment times, is open during the vacations, and provides other options such as groups and workshops. All students can self-refer directly to UCS.


The College Counsellor is in College on Wednesdays, 10am-7pm, and on Fridays, 8am-3pm, but can be contacted outside of these hours by email or phone.

Appointments must be booked in advance. There are no ‘drop in’ appointments available.

Other sources of support

If you need to speak to someone about a personal or psychological issue more urgently please either speak to your Tutor, one of the College Nurses, your GP, or try one of the organisations below.

  • University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service (UCS) is available to all University of Cambridge students. The UCS website also has lots of self-help information and advice as well as links to sources of help for a range of issues.

  • The Psychological Wellbeing Service

The Psychological Wellbeing Service (part of IAPT, an NHS initiative) can offer support to those aged 17 or over via a range of brief supported self-help and talking therapy options. You can self-refer to the service or ask to be referred by your GP.

  • First Response Service

This is an NHS service which offers urgent support for people in mental health or emotional crisis. It provides 24-hour access, seven days a week to mental health care, support and advice. Call 111, select option 2 and speak to a mental health professional. 

  • The Elms

The Elms Sexual Assault Referral Centre offers free support and practical help to anyone in Cambridgeshire who has experienced sexual abuse or sexual violence either recently or in the past.

Clients can refer themselves without having to involve the Police, it is not necessary for a report to have been made in order to access their services. Their service is completely confidential and you do not have to give any personal information in order to get help.

Tel: 0800 193 5434 (9am – 5pm)
Out of Hours Help Line: 0800 193 5434

  • The Samaritans

The Samaritans is available to anyone going through a difficult time or feeling distressed and needs someone to talk to.
Free 24-hour helpline: 116 123
You can also visit the local Cambridge branch. More info at:

  • Nightline

Nightline is the night-time listening support and information service for Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin Universities, run by students for students. Support available by telephone or Skype from 7pm to 7am any night of the CU full term. Their Instant Messaging service is available from 7pm to midnight. 
Tel: 01223 744444

The Chaplain

The Chaplain of the College is The Rev'd Andrew Hammond.

Andrew is part of the primary welfare provision for the Junior Members of College, ie undergraduate and graduate students. He is available to all members and staff of college. He may be contacted at any time: either by calling at C2 North Court, or on 07917 535940.

Andrew’s approach is to be an utterly non-judgmental, wholly confidential listener. He will offer advice if that is sought. He is also very alert to situations where it is appropriate to offer referral to a mental health professional. He is available to everyone, whatever their religious convictions.

Brief biography

Andrew was an undergraduate at Clare College, and then worked in classical music for nearly twenty years: first as a singer, then in arts administration. He was ordained in 2007, and has worked in two London parishes and at St Paul’s Cathedral. Before coming to St John’s he was Chaplain at King’s College.

The Rev'd Andrew Hammond
Spiritual Care

Andrew is a Church of England priest, so is happy to talk about any spiritual or religious matter. He also helps prepare people for baptism, confirmation and marriage.

Pastoral Care (Student Welfare)

The Dean & Chaplain supports the College welfare structures by offering college members someone who will listen to their concerns, help them examine situations, offer advice or signpost. Andrew has no expectation that those who see him will have religious or Christian commitments, all are very welcome.

Contact Details

Tel: 01223 338617
Internal tel: 38617
Address: C2 North Court

Student Unions

JCR (Student Union)

All junior members of College, including the Graduates, are members of the Junior Combination Room or JCR.

'JCR' also refers to the common room in 2nd Court, and is also a colloquial name for the JCRC, the committee that represents the JCR. The committe is elected in February and any undergraduates can stand for any position.

The JCR Committee are an elected body of students who represent undergraduates in College to the College authorities. They work to improve College for the students, and are always eager for students’ suggestions as to how this can be achieved. They also help play a role in looking after students with a Welfare and Equal Opportunities Officer, and they organise the Ents and Freshers week – a fun-packed week full of ice-breaking activities that help settle Freshers into College life!

The JCR has its own website.

SBR (Graduate Union)

The Samuel Butler Room is the name of the graduate union at St John's, as well as the name of the common room it looks after. The society is run by the graduate community of the College to promote social, intellectual and sporting activities for its members.


The rooms, close to the main entrance to the College, are for the exclusive use of all graduates and their guests. The rooms are used for social gatherings and as a common room for members. The SBR website can be found at