Hugh Percival Wharton Gatty, Fellow and Librarian of St John's College Cambridge (1907-48): Miscellaneous papers relating to books and medieval manuscripts, College furniture and plate 'taken from his rooms after his death', according to a note signed by the then Senior Bursar of St John's, J. S. Boys Smith, Apr. 1948. The collection includes: 'List of the furniture in the public rooms at Saint John's College Cambridge', 1936, with MS corrections by Ralph Edwards of the Victoria and Albert Museum; 'Entries in the College Accounts concerning the plate of St John's College'; letter from Margaret Taylor, 22 Oct. 1937, re the Carolean chairs then in the Lodge, and now, for the most part, in the Upper Library; copy of a letter to Miss Ellis of the Victoria County History, 21 May 1937; extracts from the Conclusion Book of the Master and Seniors, 1737-1862, re buildings, Library, furniture and plate; copies of various documents in the College Archives, including the 'Rule given to Saint John's Hospital, Cambridge, about 1280, by Hugh de Balsham, Bishop of Ely'; Gatty, 'Memorandum on the keeping of College Archives in relation to new buildings', in two versions, 1934; 'Fireplaces in B.3 First Court'; lists of sixteenth-century Bursars and Presidents of St John's. Most of Gatty's lists have been incorporated in subsequent inventories, or are still available as reference documents in the Rare Books Reading Room of the Library.
Various sizes, mostly 295x230 mm. Perhaps 200 fos in all. Provenance as above. One sheet, containing typescript notes from the Dean's List of Benefactors, was according to an endorsement placed by Boys Smith with the other papers shortly after Gatty's death. Boys Smith added further comments on this sheet in the form of a signed note, dated 14 Mar. 1949.
Autograph, with many cancellations and corrections, and typescript. Paper. Apart from one commercial notebook the material is unbound. It is all stored in Gatty's original document file, similar to that containing SJC, MS W.43.