William Cole (1714-82): ‘Coles MS Mus. Brit. Vol. xlix, pag. 265 / Continuation of Mr Baker’s History of St John’s College / in Cambridge’ (fo. 1r), beginning at Francis Turner, twenty-third Master, admitted 1670, and ending with John Chevallier, ‘29th and present Master’, elected 1775, running down to 1782. All as printed in Part II of J. E. B. Mayor (ed.), History of the College of St John the Evangelist, Cambridge, by Thomas Baker (Cambridge, 1869), pp. 985-1081. The MS from whence this was copied is now British Library MS Add. 5850.
327x210 mm. ii+83+ii fos (contemporary foliation). Small College bookplate (nineteenth century) inside front cover. From the library of James Wood (1760-1839), Master of St John’s College, 1839 (bookplate on flyleaf), and presumably commissioned by him very late in life. The MS is not in Cowie.
A single hand throughout. Paper: Britannia watermark ‘W. King 1839’. Leather on boards, with gold lettering; marbled end-papers. It appears from an 1843 watermark in the flyleaves that the MS was bound some years after the bequest.