St John’s College Bb.7.6

Plans of Second Court. English. 1599-1602, also ca.1700.

Plans and elevations of Second Court drawn by Ralph Symons and Gilbert Wigge, bearing the architects’ signatures, together with documents relating to the building and its contracts, plus further later plans of the College dating from around 1700.



Three coloured elevations.

Four coloured floor plans with measurements (second floor, alternative plan for first floor north side of the court, first floor, and ground floor).

A letter in Latin, dated 15 April 1600, bearing eight signatures on behalf of the Master and Fellows of St John’s.

An account of expenditure, signed by William Billingsley.

Five further pages of accounts and another document dated 1603.

Copy of the petition of Symons and Wigge to the King.

Official acknowledgement from Gilbert Wigge of having received payment from  St John’s 1605.

Memorandum of Symons and Wigge dated 9 April 1605.

Bond of Gilbert Wigge.

Two elevations and a plan for supports relating to a proposed bridge across the Cam (on the site of Kitchen Bridge),dating from around 1700.

A coloured geometric plan.

An elevation and plan apparently of a proposal not executed, for posts and rails along St John’s Street outside the Front Gate. Thought by Gatty to date to around 1700.

An annotated plan of First, Second, and Third Courts showing a proposed new river crossing leading from Third Court, a note on which refers to a letter from Sir Christopher Wren. Likely also to date from around 1700.


480 x 375 mm. Bound in red leather with triple gilt fillet around border and panel, marbled endpapers, College bookplate.  A note in H.P.W. Gatty’s hand “These plans and elevations were once in the Muniment Room, but were bound in 1869 and transferred to the Library’. The pages on which the documents are pasted are backed with linen.