William (Bill) Daish: Master Baker 1924 - 1947
During the War Daish worked at a Matthews’ bakery in town. The College bakehouse was finally closed in 1947, the whole building being let to tenants.
The first College bake house was situated on the triangle site across the street from the Great Gate. When the buildings were demolished to make way for a Divinity School on land sold to the University on 30 December 1876 a new bakery was built in the yard of 67 Bridge Street. College bread was baked here up to the early part of the Second World War.
Bill Daish in front of College bakehouse oven by Ken North (1930s)
Quarter earnings for College Kitchen staff (1939)