This shelf list reflects the contents of the Old Library in 1634-5, and records a few subsequent donations. The opening page bears the title 'Catalogus librorum Academiae Johannensis 1634' and records the number of books as 'Nos numerus sumus 2771'. The name of William Rogers appears several times ('Guilielmus Rogers Bibliothecarius') as does the name 'Rich. Dunelmensis'. William Rogers received his BA in 1632-3 and became a fellow of the college in 1635. The college rentals for 1634 record that two shillings and four pence were 'given to Sr Rogers for transcribing a copy of the library bookes'. Rogers appears to have served as library keeper c.1634-8. In 1626, St John's had received around a thousand printed books from the library of William Crashawe as a gift from Henry Wriothesley, earl of Southampton. This, and the completion of a new library in 1628 (now the Old Library in Third Court), no doubt prompted the compilation of this catalogue. See also U.3.
200 x 150mm. 75 folios. Paper. Written in a single? hand of varying neatness. Binding: brown sheepskin over pulp boards; gold- and blind-tooled fillet borders and gilt central ornament on both covers; edges sprinkled red; rebacked and repaired by George Bolton, Lent 1981.
Formerly H.29 (this class mark appears crossed through on the front pastedown). College bookplate of 1710 pasted inside upper board.