PSALTER OF SIMON DE MONTACUTE, BISHOP OF ELY
For this manuscript see N. R. Ker, Medieval manuscripts in British Libraries, volume 2 (Oxford, 1977), p. 250.
Negative microfilm in St John's College Library.
An erased inscription on fol. 106v reads 'Ex dono Chamber decani Sancti Stephani'. The hand is a formal liturgical one. It is possibly as late as the early sixteenth century and refers to the known dean of St Stephen's of that name.
MS. notes by Hugh Gatty - summary of contents 1p., and list of gold, red, and blue letter days in the calendar, 4p., filed in St John's College Library.
L. Dennison, 'The Fitzwarin Psalter and its allies: a reappraisal', in W. M. Ormrod (ed.), England in the fourteenth century, proceedings of the 1985 Harlaxton Symposium (Woodbridge, 1986), 42-66.
Phillip Lindley, 'The imagery of the octagon at Ely', Journal of the Archaeological Association 139 (1986), 75-99, plates 27-33.
L. M. Sandler, Gothic Manuscripts 1285-1385 (Oxford, 1986).
M. C. Davlin, The place of God in Piers Plowman and medieval art (Aldershot, 2001), pp. 30-4. The initial S on fol. 62v is reproduced on p. 33.
P.R. Robinson, Catalogue of dated and datable manuscripts c.737-1600 in Cambridge libraries (Cambridge, 1988) vol. I, p. 87, no. 300; vol. II pl. 144 (fol. 7v).
Exhibited (f.7r) at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, from 26 July to 11 December 2005. See the exhibition catalogue: P. Binski and S. Panayotova (eds.), The Cambridge Illuminations: Ten Centuries of Book Production in the Medieval West (London: Harvey Miller, 2005) no. 77.
Stella Panayotova (ed.), The Cambridge Illuminations: the Conference Papers (London: Harvey Miller, 2007) p. 120, 289.
- f.7r - David with harp and fighting Goliath, with hunt scenes, and grotesques
- f.25v - David pointing to his eyes
- f.30v - Winged grotesque
- f.38r - David pointing to his mouth
- f.43v - Dragons in borders
- f.50r - A king and a fool, before the Lord
- f.62v - David in the water
- f.77v - David playing bells
- f.91v - Three clerics chanting
- f.107r - The Trinity
- f.154v - Four nuns saying the Office of the Dead