The Complutensian Bible (Alcala de Henares: Arnaldo Guillen de Brocar, 1514-17).
One of two variants of the Complutensian or Ximenes Bible held by the Library. This was the first polyglot edition of the Bible printed so that scholars could compare the various translations. Editing began in 1502 under the supervision of Cardinal Ximenes, primate of Spain, confessor to Queen Isabella, Grand Inquisitor, and critic of Columbus's treatment of the native Americans, "to revive the hitherto dormant study of the Scriptures", but wasn't completed for many years. The text was eventually printed over the years 1514 to 1517, being completed only a few months before the cardinal's death, and after he had spent 50,000 gold ducats on its publication. Even then the work only received papal authorisation in 1520, and wasn't circulated until 1522.
The illustrations shows the title page and the opening to Genesis showing the parallel translations. Across the top two-thirds of the page are three columns of Greek to the left, with an interlinear Latin translation, Hebrew to the right, and between them a Latin translation of the Hebrew. To the bottom of the page are two columns containing an Aramaic text with its Latin translation.
Given by C.E. Stuart.