Binding stamp of William Stuart (1798-1874)
This gold-stamped crest of a lion, with the motto "Nobilis ira" is from a volume containing John Stow's Survay of London (1599) and Sir Thomas Smith's De republica Anglorum (1584). The volume belonged to William Stuart, grandson of John, 3rd Earl of Bute. William was admitted at St John's College Cambridge as a Fellow-Commoner in 1815, taking his MA in 1820. He resided at Aldenham Abbey, Herts, Tempsford Hall, Beds, and Hanover Square, London. He served as MP for Armagh (1820-6) and for Bedford (1830-4) and later as High Sheriff of Bedfordshire (1846).
Gift of Hugh Gatty.