David Loggan, Cantabrigia illustrata (Cambridge, 1690).
Originally from Gdansk, David Loggan (1635-1700?) moved to England in the middle of the 17th century and became engraver to Oxford University, and subsequently to Cambridge University. He produced two volumes of architectural engravings, showing views of the colleges of the Universities, Oxonia illustrata and Cantabrigia illustrata. The illustration reproduced here shows a view looking west across St John's with the main gate at the bottom of the picture, and the River Cam wending its way across about two thirds of the way up. The relatively newly completed Old Library forms the right hand side of the Third Court. Note the absence of any development on the other side of the river, then laid out as gardens.
St John's has two copies of this: one appears to have been bought directly from Loggan himself, as there is an entry in the College rentals which reads "To Mr Logan for his Booke of ye Cutts of ye Colleges in Cambridge & of ye Town of Cambridge. 10.15.0"; the other was given by Hugh Gatty.