SJC racquet courts
In 1858, the decision was taken to erect two racquet courts and a dressing room opposite the Eagle Gate on Queens Rd. The project cost £1000 and was managed by a committee of shareholders. Once the building reverted back to the College in 1883 it was leased to A Gray, the original proprietor of the Sidney Street sports shop for £100/year.
In addition to the newly built racquet courts, the remainder of the two fields was levelled and drained to form a cricket ground. Because the area required specialized maintenance and supervision the College paid to have a cottage built to be occupied initially by the Head Gardener and later on by the Groundsman. The cottage was built by Bell & Sons of Cambridge and cost £260. The cottage was demolished in 1968.
This Special Collections Spotlight article was contributed on 28 April 2014 by Tracy Wilkinson, College Archivist.