Heidelberg University Exchange
- Undergraduate & Research students.
- There is no restriction as to subject provided the subject is offered at Heidelberg University.
- The knowledge of German is not essential but is definitely advantageous.
- St John's College will cover the travel expenses to and from Heidelberg.
- Heidelberg University offer a grant (approximately 700 euros per month) to the participating students.
- The cost for an intensive German language course (4 hours per day), which usually takes place in September, is covered by Heidelberg University.
- The participating students are not liable for tuition fees at Heidelberg University but they are liable for their accommodation and meals.
- Most students who are nominated to go to Heidelberg University before their graduation will have to intermit their studies for one academic year. Students who intermit need to ensure that they have researched any effects on their funding (i.e. with SLC or their funding body).
- In some cases, the year at Heidelberg University counts towards the students' studies (eg Year Abroad for MML students or graduate students who don't intermit). In these cases, students will still be liable for their fees to St John's College.
- St John's College will invite a student from Heidelberg to spend the academical year in Cambridge.
All exchange students are required to participate in the exchange activities organised by Heidelberg, unless it is clearly stated that participation is optional.
The Heidelberg Exchange is usually advertised to students in November with a deadline in December. The exact dates will be posted on this webpage closer to the date and a relevant announcement will be made by Student Services.
Students who wish to apply will be asked to also attach: (i) a basic CV, and (ii) a personal statement with their ideas concerning the type of course or research that might be pursued in Heidelberg and how they believe that this Exchange would benefit their studies and their personal development. The statement should be no more than one A4 page long.
In the meantime, Student Services would be happy to respond to informal enquiries and requests for information.