Graduate Accommodation

St John’s College is normally able to offer accommodation to all its graduate students. This accommodation is either in shared houses (Hostels) or in Family Accommodation.

St John's College is a member of the ANUK National Code of Standards for larger student developments (educational establishments). More information on this can be found here:


All hostels are within 2 miles of the main College buildings and the city centre, and most are within ¼ mile of the College. The accommodation offered in the hostels comprises a single room in a converted or purpose-built house. All hostels have shared kitchen and bathroom facilities, and telephone.  All hostels have washing and drying machines, and further machines are available in the College. Each hostel houses between 4 and 15 graduate students.

Room charges for 2016/17 are between £370 and £606 per month according to the size of room and associated facilities. These costs include water, gas and electricity comsumption as well as internet access.  Four weeks notice of intention to vacate a room during the academic year is required.  Room charges for 2017/18 will be announced in June 2017.

Family Accommodation

The College has up to 52 units of furnished accommodation for students with long-term partners and/or children, ranging from one-bedroom flats to two-bedroom houses. For the Academic Year 2016/17 the rent for such accommodation ranges from £619-£970 per month.  These costs include water, gas and electricity comsumption as well as internet access.  All of this accommodation is within a two mile radius of the College.  A limited number of  three-bedroom properties are also available.  Rents for 2017/18 will be announced in June 2017.

Demand for this accommodation is high, although the College is generally able to meet this requirement, at the start of the academic year, provided sufficient notice is given that such accommodation is required. It is allocated by the College’s Accommodation and Bookings Manager according to availability and the circumstances of the applicants.

Private Accommodation

Students wishing to seek private accommodation in Cambridge should contact the Secretary of the University Accommodation Service, Kellet Lodge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QJ  (telephone enquiries to Cambridge 333316 or 338099, website  Please note that private accommodation of a similar standard to College accommodation is scarce and liable to be expensive.