Skip to main content

Library FAQs

Library FAQs

Library FAQs

I have checked out some Library books and other borrowable items, can I return them?

You can return Library items while coming to College to clear your room on a pre-booked visit. Returned items can be left with the Porters at the Forecourt Lodge.

Can I borrow Library items for the Long Vacation?

You can borrow Library items for the Long Vacation while coming to College to clear your room on a pre-booked visit. Please first check that the books/DVDs are available by searching iDiscover, then send your borrowing requests to at least two working days ahead of your pre-booked visit. Please include your name, book title(s), and class-marks in the email. Items will be deposited at the Forecourt Lodge for collection.

I need support and advice on Library resources and services. Where can I get help during Library closure?

At present, the Library email account is checked regularly. You can send an email to and we will do our best to help you. The University Library website has excellent resources available on There is also a quick guide on how to search ebooks on iDiscover.

Are there additional resources available during the Covid-19 outbreak period to support my study? 

During the COVID-19 outbreak period, publishers are providing access to additional e-resources to support students and researchers. A whole range of e-resources, e-journals, and e-books can be accessed at You can also go to ebooks @cambridge  blog post to find out the latest ebooks and updates or follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Do keep an eye on this page for further information and updates.

Will I be able to use the Old Library and Archives Centre?

Both the Old Library and Archives Centre are closed until further notice. If you require advice on the Archives service please email Enquiries about the Special Collections should be sent to

Can I still request biographical details concerning a member of the College I am researching?  Can I still provide information about a Johnian, such as reporting their death to the College?

Yes. Please email the Biographical Librarian at for the usual services offered by the Biographical Office. For example, please continue to report the death of a Johnian, request information about a member of the College you are researching, or provide new details about yourself for our records.  Kindly note that although we have access to our databases and electronic records, some material is not accessible during this period of Library closure.