Skip to main content

St John's offers a supportive environment to its students

College Nurse

Welcome to the health centre page!

The Health Centre has two Registered Nurses who run clinics and drop in times. 

Health Centre Lead is Sister Emma Manuel (full time in term and reduced hours out of term) and the Assistant College Nurse is Mary Lindsell (part time, term time).

We are based in North Court, B2

Out of term please email Emma directly to request an appointment as there will be a limited service throughout vacations. 

Emma Dellar

Both Emma and Mary are able to provide a listening ear, support and advise on a wide variety of physical and mental health and welfare problems. We will signpost to local services and advocate when required. 

Any information given to either Nurse will be treated in strict medical confidence and will not be divulged to anyone (outside the health centre) without your consent. Please note health records are kept electronically for use by health centre staff only, if you would like to know more about this or opt out of electronic records please contact either nurse.

Clinic Times

In term only-please see above for vacation notices

Monday-Friday only.  Please note, in Michaelmas Term we will be holding one to one meetings with all new arriving students (Undergrads and Grads). All students are expected to meet with one of the nurses in the first month of term but as soon as possible if you have any requirement for ongoing health support either though College staff or externally (GP, Psychiatrist, Consultant, Counsellor etc). If you have a chronic condition such as Epilepsy, Diabetes, Allergies (Anaphylaxis), Asthma or anything else you wish us to know about please book promptly so we can discuss any support you may require. 

Emma is also the College's Disability Liaison Officer and should be your first port of call if you have a diagnosed disability or may require further support or information. Emma will work with the Disability Resource Centre, your GP, your Tutor and other members of College staff to ensure all the support available is offered. 

Morning Clinics  10am-12pm  Please book through MOODLE or drop in if an EMERGENCY ONLY. 

Afternoon Clinics 14.00-16.00  Please book through MOODLE.  

Using your Raven password to log in to Moodle, you will then see availability, for urgent issues you can also sit and wait but priority will be given to those who have pre-booked or clinic need.

Please note appointments are limited to 15 minutes, but it may be possible to book two appointments via Moodle, depending on availability. If you are aware that you require a longer appointment and this is not available on Moodle please contact us via email before hand.

On occasion the health centre may be closed at short notice, if so we will try to alert you if you have pre-booked an appointment, we will also post notices on the health centre main door, but this may not always be possible. The porters may be aware of our expected return but not always, if we are called to an emergency or have needed to leave site. 

Out of term: Please check Moodle or email to make an appointment as clinic times will vary due to staff leave.

Email Addresses: 

Emma Manuel, Head of Health/College Nurse:   

Mary Lindsell, Assistant College Nurse:

Email address that both Nurses can access:

If you are contacting either Nurse via email please note that a reply will only be made during usual working hours and there may be a delay in responding to emails because of clinical commitments. If you need immediate advice please call into drop in clinic or use the NHS 111 service.

Telephone Health Centre: 01223 338664 (Answerphone only accessed during working hours, but if we are in clinic consultations there will be a delay in response) 


Other help  

Location of first aid and emergency equipment St John's College

The above map shows the location of first aid equipment, defibrillators, adrenaline auto Injectors (for anaphylaxis) and serious bleeding kits available in College. The College has identified key staff who have received first aid at work training and as such, should be able to give initial response to incidents when the above equipment may be required, a staff member may also offer advice on follow up care or seek further medical support depending on the preventing circumstances. 

If you need medical advice when the Health Centre is closed contact the Porters' Lodges (tel. 01223 338600) or your own GP Surgery.

If you need help when your GP Surgery is closed please call NHS 111 which is the NHS 24 hour health advice/management line. This service can assist with physical (option 1) and mental health issues (option 2, see below)

After a triage assessment they will be able to schedule emergency GP/Dental Appointments or direct you to other services as deemed appropriate.


If you are experiencing a mental health crisis please call the First Response Service via NHS 111 and select option 2 - this service is available 24/7 and is manned by skilled mental health professionals who can help you access appropriate assessment and treatment services in the local area.


For life threatening emergencies please call 999 and ensure you tell the porters if an ambulance attends College. The nearest A&E Emergency Department is located at Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Rd, Cambridge. This is for serious emergencies only such as; burns, stroke, heart attacks etc where there are risks of loss of life or limb. 

Remember the Porters are on duty 24/7 and can offer a listening ear or assist you to access further help.



The University Counselling Service run group workshops each term and these may be particularly useful. Please see further information below.


The University run Mindfulness Courses, available through each term. 

The workshop topics are as follows:

· Keeping calm: Mindfulness to help with exam nerves

· Improving attention: Mindfulness for maintaining a healthy focus when you work

· Productive Decisions: Making mindful choices that support your goals and wellbeing

· Better Sleep: Mindfulness approaches to improving sleep and rest

The current timetable can be accessed online:

To book you must have a Raven ID and password, courses are very popular so do sign up quickly!

Further information including the benefits of mindfulness, can be found at Mindfulness at Cam,


Confidentiality and record keeping

The College Nurse and Assistant College Nurse exercise their duty of confidentiality to all students and respects their right to privacy. Information shared with the Health Centre staff is kept strictly confidential; as with all health care environments. Sharing information without consent would only occur in exceptional circumstances, on a 'need to know' basis; ideally we would ask your consent but there are certain circumstances when this may not be possible-such as: serious threat of harm to yourself or others, or if a serious crime has been committed. 

Student health records are stored electronically* and processed in accord with current health and personal data protection regulations. For further information please see:

*Within College only the two Nurses can access the electronic health records. If you wish to opt out of electronic records please alert either nurse. Any hard copies of data will be stored securely in the health centre for no longer than ten years before being destroyed. 

Chaperoning during consultations.

The Royal College of Nursing states that "All patients should have the right, if they wish, to have a chaperone present during an examination, procedure, treatment or any care irrespective of organisational constraints or settings in which this is carried out"

We support this and you are therefore welcome to bring someone with you to your consultation, or if both nurses are on duty it may be possible that both can be present during the consultation  if requested.  Please discuss any concerns you have with us.

Useful links and documents

Student Wellbeing pages, gives information and advice about the services in Colleges and Depts. Also featuring many common issues that students may face in their time at University:

Health Information

Health Information

NHS Choices


Expert Self Care App


Meningitis Information

Every year in Cambridge there are cases of Meningitis, which is a life threatening infection. Please familiarise yourself with the signs and symptoms and seek medical help immediately if you have concerns about yourself or someone else.

Meningitis symptoms


General Practitioners

ALL students studying in the UK for more than 6 months should register at a Doctors/General Practioner Practice.

Please discuss with the College Nurse as soon as possible if you do not wish to register, or have any questions about the health service in the UK.

Once registered please inform student services of which practice you have chosen. 

The following GP Surgeries are within a short distance of College:


You may register at any of the above practices. 

Overnight and at weekends NHS 111 provide access to the out of hours' GP service and can be contacted on 111 or via your GP surgery's number. They are usually based at Chesterton Hospital, Union Lane. Please remember that this service is for conditions which cannot wait until your GP practice is open.

If you are feeling unwell it is a good idea to let the Porter’s Lodge know so that relevant help/people can be informed if necessary.

Local hospital


A&E or 999

In an extreme emergency the nearest Accident & Emergency Department is at Addenbrooke's Hospital. An extreme emergency is a condition such as a suspected broken bone, road accident, a severe wound that requires stitching, suspected heart attack or any other life threatening condition. Please use this service appropriately!

To contact the emergency services (fire, police or ambulance) telephone 999. You should only call 999 in an emergency, state where you are, what the problem is and please alert the Porters of the emergency, to help deliver care and to ensure that the emergency services are promptly directed when necessary.

NHS Information

For information on health concerns, self-help and support organisations, local health services including finding a local NHS dentist.

  • NHS 111 - a 24 hour NHS advisory
  • NHS 111 - option 2 for a mental health crisis 



If you have any allergies and require medication please alert the College Nurse of your diagnosis. A list of students with severe allergies (Anaphylaxis) is compiled by the College Nurse to ensure catering and First Aiders are aware of the potential risks of a life-threatening reaction. 

The College stocks Auto-adrenaline injectors (AAI's) for emergency use only in the event of a Anaphylactic reaction. These are located in the Porters Lodges, Health Centre, Boathouse, Playing fields and kitchen. College first aiders are trained to assist an individual in the use of these devices.


The Anaphylaxis Campaign:


    The College has three Automated External Defibrillators for use in the event of a Cardiac arrest. These are located in the Forecourt Lodge, boathouse and playing fields.  



    Counselling and Mental Health


    Eating Disorders - for information and help


    Foreign Travel Information


    Physiotherapy and sports injuries

    College employed Physiotherapist.

    The College has a physiotherapist who holds a clinic on Thursdays in the health centre (during term time only, 16.30-18.30) Students can book via Moodle or through one of the nurses in the health centre. Payment is by cash only-direct to Luke. Staff and Fellows can also book to see Luke (charges are applicable) Please contact either nurse for further information.  


    NHS Free Service.

    Physio Direct is an NHS telephone self-referral service available to anyone registered with a Cambridge GP. If you have an acute or chronic joint or soft tissue problem ring 0300 555 0210 Monday-Friday 13.00-17.00. The physiotherapist will make a diagnosis and prescribe exercises over the phone (call usually takes 10-15 minutes). An appointment or follow up advice will be offered if necessary. Alternatively you can complete a self referral form available at your GP Surgery or via their website.

    Private physiotherapists or chiropractors can also be found locally via a search engine. 


        Sexual Health and Contraception

        For comprehensive information on sexual health and to book online sexual health appointments at:


        Websites for General Health Information and Advice
        Stay Safe on a Night Out

        This video contains useful advice about staying safe during a night out in Cambridge.

        Cambridge is a relatively safe place, but usual precautions should be taken, particularly when travelling after dark.

        •  - Avoid travelling alone. Stay in groups or pairs and have a mobile phone with charge and credit with you.
        •  - Do not consume alcohol beyond your usual safe limits and if you are not used to drinking pace yourself and trust your instincts.
        •  - Plan your route before you leave.
        •  - Be aware of places you can drop in to if you feel unsafe-such as Porters Lodges, and public places. Please see map-a Bowler Hat indicates where a Lodge is, though bear in mind they may not all be open 24 hours a day.
        •  - If you feel your drink may have been spiked, tell someone (ambulance, security or bar staff) and get help quickly-do not attempt to leave on your own.
        •  - Report any unusual or suspicious behaviour to College and/or the Police telephone 999 for an emergency, or 101 for non-emergency, Or anonymously  through Crimestoppers  via telephone 0800 555 111
        •  - If you believe an incident or crime has occurred, but are not sure you want to report it to the police, talk to a non-judgemental professional as soon as possible-College Nurse, GP, Chaplain, Tutor or outside agency such as:

        - Samaritans
        - Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
        - Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre

        - The University Counselling Service now has a dedicated Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor 

        College Counsellor

        The College Counsellor provides a free and confidential counselling service to all students at St John’s College.

        Susie Renshaw is a Registered and Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and works in accordance with the BACP's Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.

        Counselling can be helpful for all kinds of difficulties and is available to help you with any personal or psychological issues which are having an impact on your ability to study or to make the most of student life. 

        The College Counselling Service is an additional service to the University Counselling Service (UCS) . UCS can offer a wider range of appointment times, is open during the vacations, and provides other options such as groups and workshops. All students can self-refer directly to UCS.


        Susie is generally available on Mondays (9.30am to 5pm) and Wednesdays (9.30am to 3pm), during term-time only.

        Appointments must be booked in advance. There are no ‘drop in’ appointments available.

        How to make an appointment

        Please read the College Counselling Service's Terms & Conditions. By emailing Susie, you are understood to be giving your explicit consent to these Terms & Conditions.

        To arrange to meet with the College Counsellor, please email Susie to ask to arrange an appointment:

        When emailing, please let Susie know the times you can generally meet during the times shown above (see Availability). It is also helpful if you can let her know if you think you need to be seen urgently.

        If you have any questions about the College Counselling Service, please don't hesitate to email Susie, or talk to your Tutor or one of the College Nurses. 

        Managing exams

        Susie has put together a list of her Top 10 exam resources, including ways to get into the right mind set, tools for reducing stress and bedtime stories to help you sleep. Top 10 resources to manage exams

        Other sources of support

        If you need to speak to someone about a personal or psychological issue more urgently please either speak to your Tutor, one of the College Nurses, your GP, or try one of the organisations below.

        • University Counselling Service

        The University Counselling Service (UCS) is available to all University of Cambridge students. The UCS website also has lots of self-help information and advice as well as links to sources of help for a range of issues.

        • The Psychological Wellbeing Service

        The Psychological Wellbeing Service (part of IAPT, an NHS initiative) can offer support to those aged 17 or over via a range of brief supported self-help and talking therapy options. You can self-refer to the service or ask to be referred by your GP.

        • First Response Service

        This is an NHS service which offers urgent support for people in mental health or emotional crisis. It provides 24-hour access, seven days a week to mental health care, support and advice. Call 111, select option 2 and speak to a mental health professional. 

        • The Elms

        The Elms Sexual Assault Referral Centre offers free support and practical help to anyone in Cambridgeshire who has experienced sexual abuse or sexual violence either recently or in the past.

        Clients can refer themselves without having to involve the Police, it is not necessary for a report to have been made in order to access their services. Their service is completely confidential and you do not have to give any personal information in order to get help.

        Tel: 0800 193 5434 (9am – 5pm)
        Out of Hours Help Line: 0800 193 5434

        • The Samaritans

        The Samaritans is available to anyone going through a difficult time or feeling distressed and needs someone to talk to.
        Free 24-hour helpline: 116 123
        You can also visit the local Cambridge branch. More info at:

        • Nightline

        Nightline is the night-time listening support and information service for Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin Universities, run by students for students. Support available by telephone or Skype from 7pm to 7am any night of the CU full term. Their Instant Messaging service is available from 7pm to midnight. 
        Tel: 01223 744444

        The Assistant Chaplain

        From October 2019 the Assistant Chaplain of the College is The Rev'd Canon Neil Heavisides.

        The Assistant Chaplain supports the College Tutors who are the primary point of pastoral care for the 900 Junior members of the College (undergraduates and research students). The Assistant Chaplain is available to everyone in College – Fellows, Students and Staff.

        The Rev'd Canon Neil Heavisides
        Brief Biography

        Neil re-joins St John’s College as Assistant Chaplain in October 2019 and was also Assistant Chaplain here at St John's during the academic year 2015–2016 & 2018. Neil was ordained priest in 1976 and has served in the dioceses of Durham, Southwark and Salisbury as a parish priest, and has just retired from his post as Residentiary Canon and Precentor at Gloucester Cathedral. His roots are in the North East of England and Scotland. He delights in reading novels and poetry and enjoys the fruits of creative cooking, drama and music of many varieties.

        Spiritual Care

        As a priest of the Church of England, Neil is available to discuss religious matters, whether personal or theoretical and to give help and advice in matters spiritual. He also has a role in preparing members of the College for Baptism or Confirmation and is happy to talk through this process with enquirers.

        Pastoral Care (Student Welfare)

        The Assistant Chaplain supports the College welfare structures by offering college members someone who will listen to their concerns, help them examine situations, offer advice or signpost. Neil has no expectation that those who see him will have religious or Christian commitments, all are very welcome.

        Contact Details

        Until 1 October 2019, all enquries should be directed to the Dean, The Rev'd Canon Mark Oakley

        Tel: 01223 338633
        Internal tel: 38633
        Address: H2 Second Court

        Student Unions

        JCR (Student Union)

        All junior members of College, including the Graduates, are members of the Junior Combination Room or JCR.

        'JCR' also refers to the common room in 2nd Court, and is also a colloquial name for the JCRC, the committee that represents the JCR. The committe is elected in February and any undergraduates can stand for any position.

        The JCR Committee are an elected body of students who represent undergraduates in College to the College authorities. They work to improve College for the students, and are always eager for students’ suggestions as to how this can be achieved. They also help play a role in looking after students with a Welfare and Equal Opportunities Officer, and they organise the Ents and Freshers week – a fun-packed week full of ice-breaking activities that help settle Freshers into College life!

        The JCR has its own website at

        SBR (Graduate Union)

        The Samuel Butler Room is the name of the graduate union at St John's, as well as the name of the common room it looks after. The society is run by the graduate community of the College to promote social, intellectual and sporting activities for its members.


        The rooms, close to the main entrance to the College, are for the exclusive use of all graduates and their guests. The rooms are used for social gatherings and as a common room for members. The SBR website can be found at