The Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarship
The Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships aim to support students from India to pursue doctoral studies at St John’s College, Cambridge. Under this initiative, a number of scholarships will be made available for September/October 2018.
It is expected that the students will go on to become leading achievers and opinion-formers within Indian Society, and applicants should be able to demonstrate leadership potential accordingly. All candidates must first apply for doctoral studies at the University of Cambridge, selecting St John’s College as their first choice.
Value of award
The scholarships cover
- Academic fees
- International airfare
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses
- UK Visa
Applicants should be able to meet the following criteria:
- An Indian national with a valid Indian passport, currently based in India
- Below 35 years of age on 31 December, 2017
- No previous significant exposure to a UK education, or receipt of UK government funding
- Hold a Master’s (postgraduate) degree from a reputed Indian university or institution with a First Class award in the relevant subject or field by October 2018
- Intend to pursue a full-time Doctoral research degree from the University of Cambridge, commencing by September/October 2018, which they have already identified
- Able to display evidence of leadership qualities – for example, from extracurricular activities, contribution to the country or society in their chosen field
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Able to fulfil any other admission criteria laid down by the University
Applicants must apply for their chosen Doctoral programme at the University of Cambridge, to commence by September/October 2018. Candidates should consult the full application guidelines below.
Please note that the 2018 Competition has now closed. The Preliminary Application Form for the Competition is therefore no longer available. However, eligible applicants can still be considered for College funding if their application to the University of Cambridge is sent to St John's by the Graduate Admissions Office before 1 March 2018 and if St John's College is able to offer them a conditional place by that date.