Skip to main content

College Counsellor

The College Counsellor provides a free and confidential counselling service to all students at St John’s College.

Susie Renshaw is a Registered and Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and works in accordance with the BACP's Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.

Counselling can be helpful for all kinds of difficulties and is available to help you with any personal or psychological issues which are having an impact on your ability to study or to make the most of student life. 

The College Counsellor is an additional service to the University Counselling Service. All students can self-refer directly to UCS which provides a wide range of services such as individual counselling, group therapy and a variety of topic-specific workshops.

Susie is here to see students who need to see a counsellor more urgently or who have ongoing issues they need support with.  


The College Counsellor is generally available on Mondays and Wednesdays during term-time only.

Appointments must be booked in advance. There are no ‘walk in’ appointments available.

How to make an appointment

If you would like to arrange an initial appointment with the College Counsellor please complete a Registration Form (see below) and return it to Susie by email. 

If preferred you can print off the form, put it in an envelope marked confidential and put it in the College Counsellor’s pigeonhole in the Forecourt Porters’ Lodge or pass it to the College Nurse.  Copies of the form are available in the Health Centre, on the Counselling Service noticeboard or from the College Nurse.

If you have any queries about any of this please don't hesitate to email Susie -

You can also talk to the College Nurse about arranging counselling with either the College Counsellor or the University Counselling Service.

Other sources of support

If you need to speak to someone about a personal or psychological issue more urgently please either speak to your Tutor, the College Nurse or your GP, or try one of the organisations below.

  • University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service is available to all University of Cambridge students.

  • The Psychological Wellbeing Service

The Psychological Wellbeing Service (also known as 'IAPT') can offer support to those aged 17 or over via a range of brief supported self-help and talking therapy options. You can self-refer to the service of be referred by your GP.

  • First Response Service

This is an NHS service which offers urgent support for people in mental health crisis. It provides 24-hour access, seven days a week to mental health care, support and advice. Call 111, select option 2 and speak to a mental health professional. 

  • The Samaritans

The Samaritans is available to anyone going through a difficult time or feeling distressed and needs someone to talk to.
Free 24-hour helpline: 116 123
You can also visit the local Cambridge branch. More info at:

  • Nightline

Nightline is the night-time listening support and information service for Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin Universities, run by students for students. Support available by telephone or Skype from 7pm to 7am any night of the CU full term. Their Instant Messaging service is available from 7pm to midnight. 
Tel: 01223 744444

  • The Elms

The Elms Sexual Assault Referral Centre offers free support and practical help to anyone in Cambridgeshire who has experienced sexual abuse or sexual violence either recently or in the past.

Clients can refer themselves without having to involve the Police, it is not necessary for a report to have been made in order to access their services. Their service is completely confidential and you do not have to give any personal information in order to get help.

Tel: 0800 193 5434 (9am – 5pm)
Out of Hours Help Line: 0800 193 5434