G.W. Allan's photographic team at work
The Library's photographic collections are housed in the Old Library and can be consulted in the Rare Books Reading Room. For further information on the collections, and arrangements for viewing them, please contact the Special Collections Librarian (tel. 01223-339393).
- The George William Allan collection comprises photographs, negatives and slides of Egypt, Sinai, the Red Sea, Sudan, Palestine and Ravenna, covering the period 1925 to 1958.
- The Samuel Butler (1835-1902) collection includes five photograph albums, containing c.1700 prints, and c.1600 glass plate negatives, mostly dating from 1891 to 1898.
- The Thomas Worden French (1917-2001) collection comprises two boxes of photographs and negatives taken in Greece, the Dodecanese, and Italy between 1944 and 1946.
- The Photograph albums collection comprises 34 albums of photographs of members of St John's, of the College, and of Cambridge, dating from 1851 to 1967.
Photographs, negatives, slides, and cine film can also be found in some of our collections of personal papers:
- Daniel, Glyn Edmund (1914-1986), archaeologist, writer, broadcaster.
- Davies, Hugh Sykes (1909-1984), English scholar.
- Hoyle, Sir Fred (1915-2001), astronomer.
- Jeffreys, Sir Harold (1891-1989), geophysicist.
The Library holds St John's College matriculation photographs for the years 1900, 1906, 1910, and for 1919 to the present day. We also hold graduation photographs for 1913, and for 1996 to the present.