Home » Library » Special collections » Manuscripts » Post-medieval manuscripts

St John’s College W.80

Hulse Coat of Arms, eighteenth century.

Painted coat of arms for the Hulse family, mounted on a stretched canvas on a wooden frame. 310x250 mm. Given by Thomas Plant, c.1790, following the death of John Hulse (1708-1790), who was a scholar and benefactor of St John’s College. He was admitted to the College in 1724 and graduated as 11th wrangler in the first Classics Tripos in 1728-9. In his will, Hulse left provision for two scholarships at St John’s. See A.F. Torry, Founders and Benefactors of St John’s College, Cambridge (1888) p.p. 80-81.

Groups: